I love what I do. I am passionate about the impact that we make in the people we support lives. ALSO cares about every single individual that we support from residential to supported living to employment.Miranda Chatterton – ALSO Adovcate
Make heart work your work.
This kind of work, this work of the heart, brings out the bold, the brave, the outspoken, the passionate, and the compassionate. By joining the ALSO team, you make a difference in people’s lives and the community each and every day.
In-Person Hiring Event
When: July 15th, 11 AM to 3 PM
Where: 10541 SE Cherry Blossom Dr, Portland, OR 97216
Make heart work your work as a Direct Support Pro (DSP) supporting people experiencing intellectual and developmental disabilities. Don’t wait, join our team! Come to ALSO’s Portland office on Friday, July 15th for our in-person hiring event. Meet the team, enter a raffle, learn more about the job, and accept an offer on the spot!
What is ALSO?
ALSO – Advocates for Life Skills & Opportunity is a not-for-profit organization that provides supported living, residential and vocational services to people with developmental disabilities since 1988.
We believe it is our duty to uphold our core values by providing competent, caring, and quality services to the people we support. We support adults and children in their homes, workplaces, and communities and offer a variety of programs that promote independence, inclusion, job development, job placement, and in an inclusive art studio.
Why Work at ALSO?
Outside of making a difference in the community each day, there are other great reasons to join the team. We were voted one of the top 100 Nonprofits to Work for in Oregon, here are a few reasons why:
- We care about our employees. We show this by providing our employees with opportunities to attend trainings, seminars, and obtain certifications. We also offer an Employee Assistance Program which aids our employees with financial planning, counseling sessions and other services to promote work-life balance.
- We appreciate our employees, and they appreciate each other. We do this through employee recognition programs that include peer-to-peer bonuses and employee referral programs with cash rewards up to $250. We also provide the opportunity for annual increases.· We provide benefits for all our advocates including generous sick and vacation time accruals, 10 observed holidays (including your birthday), and a 401K retirement plan with up to 4% company match.
- Full time at ALSO starts at 30 hours per week, and full-time benefits include medical (including alternative care options), dental, vision, life insurance.
- This position satisfies employment eligibility requirement for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness program.
Direct Support Pro
A Direct Support Pro (DSP) impacts the lives of the people we support by providing individual-focused service and bring our mission to life. They are advocates for the people we serve and agents of change in the community. DSPs receive on-the-job training while working with people supported in their day-to-day lives.
A Program Manager leads a team of DSPs to support individuals in ALSO’s services in creating a life of their choosing. Directing the daily activities of their team and ensuring the people supported are receiving quality services.
Employment Professional – Job Coach
An Employment Professional, sometimes also called a Job Coach, supports people experiencing intellectual or developmental disabilities as they train for, obtain, or work in jobs of their choice.
The Lead Employment Professional assists and supports individuals in obtaining integrated employment. The Lead Employment Professional does initial job set up and training for the individuals and works with the employer on developing effective communication techniques, overcoming barriers to successful job performance, and developing natural supports in the workplace.
ALSO Advocate testimonials.
“I started as a DSP because I have been in the nursing field for 35+ years. I love helping people and taking care of them. I love helping make a person’s life a little better by just being there to help in any way that is needed. My most memorable day as a DSP is taking someone, I supported to a Jimmy Buffet Concert. He had a blast and kept thanking me for taking him. It was the most awesome Memorial Day seeing the great big smile on his face.”
– Brenda Kysor, ALSO Advocate
“I came to ALSO as a referral from a very close friend (who has since passed away). I was very impressed with the company and the management. I am very thankful to have found a company that cares and listens to their employees’ thoughts and concerns. I love the way everyone works together. My ALSO why would be: I love the comrade, yet the ability to work independently with support and trust from my team. I think as an organization the communication is great and knowledge is power.”
– Angelique Hunter, Direct Support Pro
“I think my passion for what we do has become greater. It’s like my brain never shuts off. I am always out in the community looking at different jobs to find for the people we support. My life and the way I view things have changed. Initially, I thought all we do is take care of people but now I am looking at it an entirely different way. We are teaching the people new skills, promoting independence, and making sure that they are included in their community.”
– Miranda Chatterton, ALSO Advocate 20+ years